Do you want to be successful architect someday? Before you get to work at a top architect firm in Kuala Lumpur, you need to go through may years of training. This includes architecture school and internships. Don’t worry. With determination and hard work, you will soon realize that dream.
Architects design different kinds of structures, from houses and apartment complexes to office buildings, factories and shopping centers. Apart from considering physical appearance, they see to it that these buildings are safe, functional, economical and suits the needs of the individuals that use them.
Most of the time, architects work inside the office. There, they draft plans, meet up with clients, file permit applications and work on cost estimates. At times, they visit constructions sites in order to check on the progress of their projects, making sure that their contractors are working in accordance to their design plans.
The Duties and Responsibilities of an Architect
- Manage and organize permit documents
- Work with team members in other locations and coordinate with subcontractors
- Resolve complicated design problems, and practical and innovative solutions
- Modify existing elevations, and plans to fit sales and client needs
- Develop projects, and lead the implementation of the concept from design to development
- Prepare specifications, architecture drawings and other construction documents
- Document and design industrial and commercial building projects
- Consult with clients in order to determine their requirements
- Work on preliminary architectural studies for new structures, as well as alterations to existing buildings and site development
Architect Skills and Competencies
- Strong verbal and written skills, grammar and fluency
- Ability to perform tasks outside normal work hours
- Ability to produce 3D and 2D design drawings for presentations
- Must be highly knowledgeable in applying building codes
- Team player with a positive attitude
- The ability to manage many projects simultaneously
- Creativity. You should be able to come up with designs for different kinds of structures.
- Visualization. You should be able to see through your mind’s eye, what the structures would appear after completion.
- Verbal Communication. Verbal communication skills would allow a person to describe ideas well to colleagues and clients.
- Active Listening: You should be able to understand well what other people are sharing with you.